Can NZRCA events conflict?

Discussion of major RC events here
i.e. Nationals, North Islands, Drivers Series etc
David Beck

Sun May 15, 2016 2:14 pm

The only public holiday in the second half of the year is Labour weekend.
I saw on the NZRCA website an Island Off Road event is planned for that weekend.
Will the Onroad SI Champs still go ahead also on that weekend as it has done for about 20 years?
Or, will the onroad drivers of the south island have to miss the opportunity and the advantages a long weekend offers.

David Beck

B.C.Ninja

Sun May 15, 2016 2:37 pm

It was a rule change at the AGM last year, and TBH I personally thought it was a dumb ass move but others have their own opinions, pretty much there was the thought that we should only have set dates for the National events and then just let everyone else fight it out on a first in first serve basis totally disregarding any previous history of events, the argument put forward was that the NZRCA haven't got the time to chase up clubs to hold events, the more simple way around this would of been to not chase up the smaller events, if they didn't have a hosting club, then you wouldn't have an event, the previous calendar was fair, as the new method seems to have no consultation, it's just first in first served, like you said the South Islands has always been run on Labor Weekend, now we have an event that used to be run in December I think being run two months prior with the new system, we have limited event dates due to weather in NZ now we have a system that is so up in the air regarding the possible events that we may see some fade into oblivion.

my4ari

Sun May 15, 2016 3:12 pm

B.C.Ninja wrote:It was a rule change at the AGM last year, and TBH I personally thought it was a dumb ass move but others have their own opinions, pretty much there was the thought that we should only have set dates for the National events and then just let everyone else fight it out on a first in first serve basis totally disregarding any previous history of events, the argument put forward was that the NZRCA haven't got the time to chase up clubs to hold events, the more simple way around this would of been to not chase up the smaller events, if they didn't have a hosting club, then you wouldn't have an event, the previous calendar was fair, as the new method seems to have no consultation, it's just first in first served, like you said the South Islands has always been run on Labor Weekend, now we have an event that used to be run in December I think being run two months prior with the new system, we have limited event dates due to weather in NZ now we have a system that is so up in the air regarding the possible events that we may see some fade into oblivion.
The idea around dropping Norths and Souths from the set dates was due to lack of interest from clubs wanting to host these events, and then when clubs did want to host them, they always applied for dispensation for change of dates anyway.

The North Island off roads applied for labour weekend because firstly no other club had or still has applied for any other event for that weekend (and the AGM was 8 months ago!!!) and the host clubs track is located on business property so events held there need to be run on long weekends.

If a South Island club wants to run a meeting on the same weekend, apply and see.

• Information