dex210 gearbox binding issue

Discuss matters of a general nature
crabby

Sat May 21, 2016 12:02 am

Just wondering if anyone has experienced this.

New 2nd hand car, gave it a quick strip and clean after its first raceday under my ownership, when I was reinstalling the motor I noticed the spur didn't really turn super freely. out came the box (setup for 4 gear mid motor) and I stripped it down expecting to find a mashed gear but everything looked ok bar one layshaft bearing that will need replacing, cleaned and regreased and re-assembled, binding still there once you start to bolt the halves together, pulled each gear out and inspected, visually looks ok, checked manual for correct part placement, all ok.. I put the box back together but left out the layshaft gear - still binding, pulled the gears out one by one and when I removed the diff assembly its smooth as silk when you turn the layshaft.. inspect said diff gear again- looks fine, try assembled ball diff that came in spares, silky smooth again! Im thinking the gear diffs crown gear is slightly warped and causing the slight binding? anyone come across this ?

Guessing I just need another gear are there alternatives to the stock black plastic one?
Long live the noob tent!

Scotty

Sat May 21, 2016 11:06 am

HI
Is the diff in the right way ? Ive done the same in the past and the diff was upside down.
Everything would turn and work fine till in screwed the outer diff cover on ?

Try that ?

Skippy_77

Sat May 21, 2016 7:11 pm

Gearbox side bolts are to tight. Refer to manual for proper torque specs so that it doesn't happen :)
Outlaw RC - www.outlawrc.co.nz

HB Racing, Kyosho, Associated, J-Concepts, Team Orion, OS Speed

crabby

Sat May 21, 2016 7:20 pm

Ah its fine with the ball diff tho? Could feel the binding as soon as the halves were clicked together.
Long live the noob tent!

wingnut51

Sat May 21, 2016 7:41 pm

Check the little bearing on the top of the trans seen a few of them go and fall out
Just doin it cause it's fun

crabby

Sat May 21, 2016 7:43 pm

wingnut51 wrote:Check the little bearing on the top of the trans seen a few of them go and fall out

Yep that bearing was toast when I pulled the box apart. Missing the seal and race exposed and really dry and notchy. Quite a small bearing for what it does I thought, had another in my rc helicopter parts bin but didnt fix the binding.
Long live the noob tent!

wingnut51

Sat May 21, 2016 7:50 pm

is it doing it with the slipper shaft in and are all the shims on the two centre gears
Just doin it cause it's fun

crabby

Sat May 21, 2016 8:14 pm

Yep all shims in. Tried it without the shims too Slipper shaft in or out doesnt make a difference. Only thing that has seemed to make it smoother is putting the ball diff assembly instead of gear diff assembly.
Long live the noob tent!

RC-SPEC

Sat May 21, 2016 8:23 pm

Is the gear Diff housing rubbing on the casing?
A few brands have this issue when retro fitting a gear diff
www.prosport-rc.co.nz

crabby

Sat May 21, 2016 8:56 pm

Not as far as i can tell. Might have to get the verniers out and have a wee measure up but it all looks visually about the same as the ball diff.
Long live the noob tent!

crabby

Sat May 21, 2016 11:16 pm

I am not alone :lol: http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162432" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Long live the noob tent!

Skippy_77

Sun May 22, 2016 4:50 pm

Ah maybe the gearbox has been over tightened and warped it?

Recommend new housings and she will be mint.

Your not running shims on main diff bearings just to check like on the ball diff?

crabby

Sun May 22, 2016 8:11 pm

Cheers Shane. Will come grab some halves this week. Actually it did have the shims on the gear diff when I pulled it apart, I followed the manual and put them onto the ball diff when installing. Didnt check the manual for disassembly with the gear diff so made the assumption they were meant to be on the gear diff when it was removed. That is likely the problem! Cheers Man!
Long live the noob tent!

Skippy_77

Sun May 22, 2016 9:24 pm

Shims are definitely only for a ball diff. Take them out all should be sweet!

• Information