Help setting up my TC!

Canterbury Radio Control Car Club
FST4RD

Thu May 10, 2012 2:40 pm

Finally got my stock touring car together. It's just an old one I had lying round that I plan to have a go with.
It's got foam tyres on it at the moment, what sort of camber should I be running front and back?
Toe in, toe out or neutral steering on the front?
Hard, medium or soft springs front and back?

Thanks

Mike van der Haas
RCRACER

Thu May 10, 2012 3:04 pm

If the tyres are also old, then use the softer springs.

FST4RD

Thu May 10, 2012 3:06 pm

Tyres are almost new.
I know Im suppose to run rubbers I think? But thought I would give it a crack before committing too much money.

Mike van der Haas
RCRACER

Thu May 10, 2012 4:49 pm

If they are 35~37 shore, and full foam height, you can easily run 2 degrees of camber. If you have trouble with traction rolling mid corner, try add swaybars, check the ride height isn't too high. Check the oil in the shocks if it's not be replaced.
1 deg of toe out should help on the long straight keep it straight.

FST4RD

Thu May 10, 2012 5:47 pm

Mike van der Haas wrote:If they are 35~37 shore, and full foam height, you can easily run 2 degrees of camber. If you have trouble with traction rolling mid corner, try add swaybars, check the ride height isn't too high. Check the oil in the shocks if it's not be replaced.
1 deg of toe out should help on the long straight keep it straight.
Yeah they're 35's. I'll try 2 degrees to start.
I replaced the shock oil so they're mint. Wound them down so it's closer to the ground.
I have 1 degree on the back and approx 1 degree on the front.

Thanks for your help!

At the moment I have medium springs on it, am i best to leave it or change to soft or hard springs?

Mike van der Haas
RCRACER

Thu May 10, 2012 6:20 pm

The springs really depend on other setting in the car. Like swaybars and roll center, track grip. So try medium first, and then try the hard to compare.

Michael Jones

Thu May 10, 2012 7:33 pm

BTW as speed is pretty important on a touring stock at Ruapuna, try and get your gear ratio to be as close to 3.9:1 as you can. This usually works good with rubber tyres, but depending on the size of your foams, you may possible want a slightly different gear ratio to that.

Remember you need to get the internal ratio of the car by dividing the big pulley by the small pulley and then multipling that by result of the spur gear divided by the pinion gear.

Regards
Mike

• Information